Makhubo visits Lawley, 5 nabbed for ‘land invasion’
Updated | By Anastasi Mokgobu
Johannesburg Mayor Geoffery Makhubo visited Lawley, south of the city on Monday following the protest by residents of Kokotela informal settlement.

Angry residents took to the streets on Sunday after the security and evictions company Red Ants destroyed shacks and houses that had been illegally built by the residents.
The protests led to Makhubo and Human Settlements MEC Lebogang Maile calling off their planned visit.
The mayor visited the area on Monday.
Makhubo said he is not aware of any eviction or demolition of occupied structures, but that the city would nevertheless provide support to the affected families.
"Should the claims (of the demolition of occupied structures) be proved, those responsible for the action will be called to account.”
A further five suspects arrested in Lawley on Monday on charges relating to the invasion of land, including a member of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
“Whilst we were on site we also witnessed several persons actively engaged in invading land. Shockingly, amongst five persons arrested today, is a member of the South African National Defence Force in active service at the 21st South African Infantry Battalion,” said Makhubo.
"The city has raised the substantial rise in land invasions with the province and national governments and awaits direction on how to contain this trend during the lockdown period.”
Makhubo added: “We are following leads that could result in the arrest of more persons involved in this illegal, manipulative and inhumane abuse of the suffering of the poor for material and financial gain.”
We have been notified of the person that is illegally selling these stands in Lawley. Our @JoburgMPD will be investigating the matter #lockdown #COVID19SouthAfrica #Covid_19 # pic.twitter.com/qnlE7yFc0y
— Geoff Makhubo (@GeoffMakhubo) April 20, 2020
ALSO READ
Prisoners organisation embarks on hunger strike in Covid-19 protest
Spokesperson Golden Miles Bhudu says the demonstration follows failed attempts to engage with the Department of Correctional Services. "Release both non-violent first-time offenders immediately. Release political prisoners, regardless of their affiliations." Bhudu says prisoners who have served at least 10 years of their sentence should also be released.
Show's Stories
-
WATCH: How to make these two iconic British dishes
On Breakfast with Martin Bester, the team stopped by the UK on Taste of ...
Breakfast with Martin Bester 58 minutes ago -
Shoprite trolley collectors stun with classic country song
Two Shoprite trolley collectors have touched the hearts of thousands of ...
Breakfast with Martin Bester an hour ago